AOGS Distinguished Lecturers - Criteria & Selection Process
This document describes the criteria and process recommended for the selection of Society and Section Distinguished Lecturers for the annual AOGS meetings. Normally there will be two Society Distinguished Lectures at each annual AOGS meeting, as well as two Section Distinguished Lectures per Section.
With effect from 2016, out of the present two Distinguished Lectures (DLs) in each AOGS section every year one shall be delivered by an early career researcher including post-doctoral researchers under the title Early Career Researcher Distinguished Lecture (ECR-DL).
- A Society or Section Distinguished Lecturer must have a sustained (for at least 10 years) track record of excellent science.
- The age limit of the ECR-DL is 35 years of age or no more than 7 years after successfully passing doctoral level degree. ECR-DL’s are eligible to receive the Kamide Award (learn more here)
- It is desirable, but not essential, that a Society or Section Distinguished Lecturer be either born or have worked in the AOGS region.
Thus Distinguished Lecturers will be selected primarily on the basis of their excellent, sustained, scientific record.
Selection process for Section Distinguished Lecturers
- The Section President forms a Selection Committee with a nominee as Chair.
- The Selection Committee requests nominations, each comprised of the nominee's name, institution, and a few-sentence rationale.
- The Selection Committee uses the criteria and information from the nominators to develop a ranked list of nominees, comprised of the two top-ranked nominees plus alternates.
- The Selection Committee forwards the ranked list to the Council for discussion, possible revision, and eventual approval.
- The Selection Committee is then responsible for inviting the approved nominees and, once they accept, organizing the
Selection process for Society Distinguished Lecturers
The process will be essentially identical to that for Section Distinguished Lecturers except that the relevant Committee will the Society's Nomination Committee.